We have all been there. You aren't truly hungry but you want to eat. Maybe it has been a long day or you want a snack while you watch a movie or football game. It could be "that time of the
month". (Don't turn away fella's, this is not a female exclusive event and you know it) Either way, you are desperate for something to munch on. What do you do?
The options are limitless but here are a few of my favorites:
Coconut Butter- if you have had it before, simply the name is enough said. Eat it by the spoon full or dip you fruit,
whatever dude, it's just GOOD! You can buy it in many different flavors or simply make your own. All you have to do is toss
some unsweetened coconut flakes in the food processor and blend until creamy and smooth. OR, go all primal on it and crack open a whole coconut! Scoop out the insides and blend. You're
Plantain Chips- these crunchy, not so sweet banana family goodies are an amazing alternative for that salty chip craving. There are tons of brands out there so shop around and
read your labels. I like to have a handful of chips with a handful of raw, unsalted almonds.
- Cut Veggies and Hummus- Want something to dip? Got ya covered! Hummus works with all sorts of fresh veggies but my favorites are mushrooms and bell peppers.
- Frozen Fruit- It doesn't get much easier. Simply cut of some fruit and toss it in the freezer! Strawberries, pineapple, mango, grapes, blueberries, raspberries, papaya, banana... all
fantastic. You can blend them into a smoothy with some kale or spinach. You can add a bit of coconut milk and create sorbet. My favorite, however, is just to eat it straight. Being frozen, you
get a good crunch, intense flavor AND you have to slow down (or risk brain freeze) naturally causing you to eat less. If you choose to buy already frozen fruit from the store, be sure to check
that no sugar or preservatives or really, anything has been added.
- Beef Jerky- Again, the advantage of having to slow down causes you to consume less but you hit that savory craving on the head. Making your own jerky is a snap if you have a dehyrator and you
can control the quailty. Not everyone has that luxury, however, so be sure to read your labels carefully. Just like deli meats, manufactorers are sneaky.
Granola- The Paleo kind. There are lots of different versions out there and you can make your own fairly easily. Mix a variety
of nuts and seeds with some dried fruit, honey and vanilla and bake it. I had one recently that had an amazing cayenne pepper kick at the end. It was made by a farmer's market vendor in Charlotte, NC and I am ready to board a plane to get some more.
- Avocado- This is a go to for me when they are in season. Hass Avocado, salt, pepper, garlic powder, a squish of lime juice and a pinch of cayenne. HECK YEA! You could add some red onion,
minced garlic (instead of powder) and cilantro and sandwich it between two pieces of bacon... let your taste buds be your guide.
- Dark Chocolate- Come on, give in. A good quailty, dark chocolate can be just the thing. Add a bit to your fresh fruit sorbet or throw some in with your plantain chips and almonds. Heck, just
eat some all by itself or with a glass of red wine. When you know it is chocolate you want, eating something else will only make you want to keep eating because you won't hit the craving.
Here is the thing, guys. Extra munching is fine on occasion. HOWEVER, if you are constantly getting the munchies (I don't mean truly hungry and need a snack I mean the munchies), check into why.
Are you staying hydrated? Are you consuming enough quality calories (especially if you work out) in your daily intake from lean protien, a variety of clean carbs (not talking bread here, I mean
veggies and fruit) and natural fats? Is a balanced intake? Could you be off kilter because travel, too much cheating, stress or holiday parties? Maybe you need to detox. Are you stress eating? If
your munchies are constant and not related to any of these factors, you need to see a doctor. Otherwise, enjoy an extra snack every now and then and don't feel guilty about it! Man, I'm hungry
now. Pass me the coconut butter!